Week 4 – Gov.
Objectives: Identify the actions churches, families, and governments should take in restoring biblical government. Contrast the attitude towards authority and responsibility of Americans today to those who founded the colonies.
- Chapters 11-13 of Ruler of Nations
- Read the introduction to The Mayflower Compact, then read the document itself.
- What purposes do they give for coming to the New World?
- What did they promise to do in the document?
- Read “Puritanism as the Basis for American Conservatism” by William Cullen Dennis.
- Read “Beyond the Liberal Myth” by Brian Brown.
- Turn in the first essay.
- Questions for the week: How can the family, church, and the state put biblical reconstruction into practice? What elements were put in place in New England society to preserve order?
Questions from Ruler of Nations
- List the five steps the church can take toward reconstruction.
- What steps are given for the the family to take? How are these put into practice?
- What steps can be taken now to enact reconstruction in the civil government?
- What prevents the law of God from being tyrannical?
- What role is advocated for Christians who serve on juries? Is this a proper role? What does the Bible say about it?