Week 13 – Gov.
Objectives: Describe how the people of God are formed into a new society and how it affects us. Explain how executive power has increased in the U.S. and what should be done to stop it. Identify how characters from Scripture resisted governing authorities.
- Against Christianity, pp. 14-36 (stop at section 19).
- How does God display that His people are the body of Christ?
- Executive Tyranny: How we lost freedom
- What are examples of treaties that would limit citizen’s rights?
- What executive orders have overstepped the President’s constitutional boundaries?
- What historical examples do we have of Presidents overstepping their authority through emergency powers?
- Ending Executive Tyranny
- What organizations work toward limiting executive power? What organizations work to increase executive power?
- What nationally should be done to limit executive authority?
- Read “The Resistance Tactics of Azariah and Paul” from Tactics of Christian Resistance
- Questions for the week:
- What does it mean that God’s people are a new society with a new story that replaces the old societies and old stories?
- How has the executive branch increased its power in the U.S.?
- What can individuals do to restore the executive branch to its biblical role?
- In what ways did Azariah and Paul righteously resist the governing authorities? How can Christians apply their examples today?